So I had been hearing about Greek yogurt and I only tried it for the first time in March. I think it's pretty awesome. I love how thick and creamy it is and just how different it is. I usually eat 6oz of it every morning. It can be anywhere from three to four points. It's also like $1.20 per 6ozs.
So since I only got my first paycheck since May on Wednesday, money has been tight. The last time we went grocery shopping was before I got my paycheck, so we were being careful with money. As a result, I went for the regular yogurt that costs 50 cents.
I ate that yogurt for the last few days and although the texture was downright watery compared to the Greek yogurt, it was good. I hadn't had regular yogurt in a very long time and I had forgotten how good it was. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the cheap yogurt was only two points.
I will continue to regular yogurt because either way I like yogurt. I will still treat myself with Greek yogurt from time to time. Heck, once we get back on our feet I may go back to eating Greek yogurt every day. However, for now, I'm good with the 50 cent yogurt that saves me money and points!
As always, thanks for reading.
Saturday, August 11, 2012
7 comments:
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers and like to interact with them. Please know that I read and respond to (almost) every comment I get. I will respond to your comment as soon as possible.
I am open to constructive criticism, but if your comment is inappropriate (i.e. a personal attack, name calling, etc.) it will not be responded to and deleted as soon a possible. I reserve the right to moderate comments for any reason.
Thank you,
Wendy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting. I really like Chobani and I buy it for a dessert when it's on sale. The containers are big, though.
ReplyDeleteI get the Yoplait fruit ones when they're on sale. I have to get the full-sugar ones though because there are coupons and sales and you can get them down to 30 or 40 cents apiece. I'm trying really hard to cut down on sugar and there's a lot in there!
Given the choice though, I'd rather put my own sweetener in. I went to Trader Joe's on Monday and they have a good price on plain organic yogurt. I've been having that with a handful of granola and/or just enough maple syrup as a snack or breakfast or lunch.
Sigh, I just realized that comment doesn't make any sense. I'm sensitive to artificial sweeteners so I can't have them, and that's why I have to get the full-sugar yogurts. Not because they're on sale.
DeleteI didn't realize that the stuff I purchased was full sugar til I got home. I was really worried about points and I was shocked how low they were. I love Chobani too. Hannaford has a store brand that is 99 cents and is just as good.
DeleteI prefer the Greek yogurts when I need a light breakfast that will keep me satisfied for longer since it's much higher in protein than regular yogurt. But I agree, the regular yogurt is so much cheaper.
ReplyDeleteI prefer buying the plain Greek or regular yogurt (whichever's on sale) and then adding my own fresh or frozen fruits. The natural sugars in the fruit are enough to sweeten the yogurt. Hubby does like Laurie and adds granola to his yogurt.
I eat breakfast twice, so to speak. When I get to work I eat either a Fiber One bar or the Yogurt. Whichever I don't eat first I'll eat second if I get hungry.
DeleteWendy: I agree that you need to do what works best as you balance both your finances and meal plans (We follow a modified Total Money Makeover plan by Dave Ramsey and it has been awesome for us to get back on our feet.) I buy plain greek yogurt from Trader Joe's or Aldi's (Aldi's has one that is a little pricier because it is a expensive one in most stores and they have it cheaper) The do have their brand of flavored greek yogurt that is cheaper. Another idea is to buy both kinds and mix them when you want the thicker texture. I think you are doing a great job at your decision making on this, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! That's how I live most of the time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Delete